Tuesday, March 9, 2010

People & culture 2

Kayah



Hi I would like to introduce myself again. My name is Khin. I want to carry on writing about people in my country, Burma. I already wrote about the Kachin people in my People and culture 1 article. I hope you will enjoy to read that. Now I want to talk about Kayah people.

They are known as Red Karen because of their colored head cloths or shawls. There are many ethics groups in Kayah. The women who wear the brass rings on their neck, arms and legs known as Padaung people are in the Kayah groups. They prefer to call them Kayan. The purpose of wearing ring is for beauty. The ring are started to apply the young girls whose become about five years old.



Kayah people used to call their name using their grandparents’ name. Most of the grandmother and granddaughter share the same name. The traditional Kayah house is on stilts and cattle and pigs are bred under it. There is no window in original Kayah house because their state is cold most of the time.



The national symbol of Kayah state is Kinnare bird that is half human and half bird. Kinnare bird is symbol for love. It means the Kayah people are faithful and caring the other people. Now Kayah has very few population percentage in Burma. The famous festival of Kayah is the Kutobo or Flad Mast festival. It held between March and May.

No comments:

Post a Comment